Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The People in the Museum

I went to the Ringling Art Museum yesterday with my sister, her boyfriend, their girls, my boyfriend, and our good friend. We made for a quite the group. We wandered about the art gallery letting the girls ooh and aah and cause the museum volunteers to teeter between panic and terror. "Do not touch" they constantly reminded us when no one touched a thing.

My sister and her youngest appreciate some art.
While I answered questions from my nieces and allowed myself to be pulled around by them I noticed that the most interesting thing on display in the gallery was not necessarily the artwork but the people looking at the artwork. 

The people from all over in a dimly lit building with art and history all around them pointing and whispering or just looking bored fascinated me.

From the hip shot to catch art patrons.
It wasn't because these groups were from different parts of the world but were still able to appreciate art it was their expressions; they way they stood, the way they screwed their face in concentration; the way they pointed to the details in the frame. The people looked interesting because they were just people.

Bust with woman in blue.

Friend Admiring Brush-strokes

Next time I go I'm going to be focusing on the people looking at the art as well as the artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment