Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Joseph Bauer Jr. and the Wheel of Destiny

Joseph Bauer Jr., ringmaster and crazy nut job, decided that today would be a good day to spit right in Death's face. His goal was to make into the Guinness Book by jump roping on top of a 50 foot Wheel of Destiny (you must, must, must, say this with an echo effect and a clap of thunder) which stood atop a 19 story building. This alone sounds impossible but add to it a thick oppressive fog and windy conditions and the scales tip in Death's favor.

One Watergate Condominium with the Wheel of Destiny at top 
barely visible through the fog.

The fog was thick, extremely thick; rolling in from Sarasota Bay obscuring the boats docked there and even entire buildings. The show which was supposed to start at 11am was delayed for a bit but that was fine with me since it gave me time to do some people watching. There were even a few clowns that performed for the crowd.

A clown framing up a shot of the Wheel of Destiny for 
a photographer.




Throughout the time we were out there the fog would clear only to come back. The situation looked a little desperate but in true circus style; the show had to go on! Someone gasped and the attention of the crowd shifted from the clowns, the dogs, the kids playing near the water to the Wheel. of. Destiny.

 Obscured in fog and barely visible Joseph Bauer Jr. 
performs for the crowd below.

I'm--I'm not even sure how he manages to do this.

Things get wet in fog, wet and slimy and slippery. He is up there, 50 feet in the air 19 storys up with barely any visibility on a contraption that was probably wet and a little more dangerous than usual. I was a little disheartened at first, I could see what was going on but I was afraid that good ole Annabel Lee wouldn't really be able to capture much if anything.  Then the fog finally lifted for good.

 It's funny, one of my New Year's resolutions is to jump rope, but not like this.
 Not like this.


If this wasn't impressive enough, he walks the Wheel of Destiny (remember the echo and thunderclap) double blindfolded. The newspaper article I read about the stunt mentioned being blindfolded while jump roping but given the fog, the wind, and the damp air I don't blame Joseph Brauer for deciding against such a stunt. What he did do was incredibly impressive and I caught myself hitting Harlock asking him if he just saw that?! Saw what? EVERYTHING!


 You can make out the blindfold under his arm.

Discarding the Second Blindfold.

The show was great, the crowd loved it.


It was a really great day even with all the fog. Here's a shot for perspective.

Across the street.

It was one of those days that put a spring in your step and a song in your heart. I loved it. Being out in the crowd, talking with people, watching everyone enjoy themselves and a man do something absolutely insane was a great experience. Today also served to further convince me that I want to study photojournalism and reminded me of a great rule of thumb; always go to the bathroom before you go to an event.


No comments:

Post a Comment